Thursday, December 11, 2008

My View on Jewish History and How it has Changed

At the beginning of this class I had an idea of what Jews had gone through to get to where they are today. Especially, with my family history my grandpa would tell my brother and I stories and my mom made sure I knew where my family came from. I definitely learned a lot from this class starting from the first day.

I've always known that Jews have suffered and been persecuted throughout the years but not to the extent that we discussed. I never knew that Jews converted to escape Poland and who knows how many of those Jews stayed Christian and lost there Jewish heritage. We have always been seen as the under dogs but it makes me proud to be a Jew because we have fought to be where we are today and have earned our place.

When the Jews came to America I thought they were welcomed with open arms and did not realize that immigration of Jews was almost completely shut down. The effects that could have had would have been huge considering that my grandpa is dutch and came from Holland after the war so that bill could have been passed and my grandma was American so they never would have met and I would not be here today.

No comments: